Management
 
 
Home
 
Annual Reports
 
Annual Reports - 1927
 
The Bank's Annual Report to the City Council continues the theme of previous years of increased accounts, deposits, house purchase loans, the collection of utility accounts, and the number of branches. The financial year ends with 5,380 mortgages in force and the report notes that 2,422 mortgages have been arranged for the purchase of Municipal houses. For the first time, the Published Report includes an Income & Expenditure Account - this shows a surplus for the year of 15,301, which when added to  Reserves produces a total of 99,993. The General Manager's report dated January 6th 1928 discusses various aspects relating to the objective of providing branch facilities in all Birmingham districts. The location of three permanent branches (Harborne;  Selly Oak;  Northfield) is criticised, but no action is ever taken other than an alternative site is purchased for Harborne but never utilised. The House Purchase and Stationery Departments have been moved from the Head Offices in Edmund Street to rented accommodation in Easy Row, but space in Edmund Street is still limited and the General Manager requests the Committee to consider the possibility of the site occupied by the Blue Coat School at 5 St Phillip's Place, near the Cathedral - but this never materialises, although the premises become vacant in 1930. During the year, the General Manager writes a history of the Bank, several members of the staff are awarded examination prizes, and administrative changes are made to withdrawals on demand; cash orders and cash held at branches; and  passbooks. The question of the Bank having a Special Investment Department is raised. New Head Office caretakers are appointed: Mr & Mrs  Frank Kirtland.
 
(1) Published Report
Front and Back pages of Report
 
Published  Report (cont.)
 
BACK TO THE TOP