Staff Association
Sports &
BMB Football Club - Season 1963/64
Reports in staff magazine by "Linesman" (Michael Bourke)

CONTACT: Autumn 1963

The "Probables" and the "Possibles" met in a trial match on September 1st at Swanshurst Park. There was some good mid-field play but the power of the "Probables" forward line proved to be the deciding factor. Michael Taylor and Peter Aston, the respective goal-keepers, had a busy afternoon and both gave first-class displays. The defences emerged with a great deal of credit but in the main the game was dominated by the forwards. It proved an interesting match from which all the players should derive some benefit.

The Club would like to express its sincere appreciation for the support of the Vice-Presidents. However, it would be most encouraging to the players if more people were at the matches to support them. The home pitch for both teams is at Foxhollies Park this season, but as usual the away matches will be played in different parts of the city. So when either team is in your area please go along and cheer them on.


CONTACT: Christmas 1963

Season 1963-64 has produced some completely unpredictable results for both teams. The first XI stormed away at the beginning by registering an impressive 12-0 win at the expense of EBT & L. This was a personal triumph for John Ordish who scored five goals - a Bank record. This run of success extended for six unbeaten games, claiming ten points from a possible twelve. This ensured the team top place in the Monday League's Second Division. Since then a change has taken place, only one point being secured from the last six games resulting in a slide to seventh place in the table. Skipper Ian Galloway is top scorer with eight goals, closely followed by centre forward John Ordish with seven. The attack, in general, has moved with precision but rely to a great extent on the ability of their inside forwards, Keith Gibbons and Ian Galloway, to create chances. The defence has, in the main, been very steady with goalkeeper Michael Taylor giving several outstanding performances that must surely be recognised with a place in the League representative team. Centre-half Ron Moll is also  a steadying influence on the defence but before the team can be on the winning trail again more attacking ideas must come from the wing-half positions.

The second XI have not enjoyed the best of success in this, their first season in the Monday League's Fourth Division. Injuries and first team calls have not been conducive to a settled team. Despite the fact that they are still looking for their first win they are gradually improving in fitness and team tactics. Goalkeeper Peter Aston has been the mainstay of the defence with centre-half Paul Batchelor giving good support. Left-winger David Parkes (4 goals) and Derek Horner (6 goals) have been the driving force behind the attack. As with the first XI, the second team will do much better when the wing-halves take control of the middle of the field and create openings for their forwards.

Both teams would like to express their appreciation to the supporters who turn up for the game. It gives the players tremendous encouragement to know that there is someone cheering them on and this is often the difference between defeat and a win. The home ground has been changed to Swanshurst Park for both teams. Do not forget they represent YOU so why not go along and cheer them on?


CONTACT: Spring 1964

In the second half of the season the first XI have recovered some of their poise. The foundation of this recovery has centred on the powerful half back line of John Ordish, Ron Moll and Alan Woodbridge. Their prompting has encouraged the forwards to such an extent that five points have been taken from three games. Michael Taylor's excellent form in goal has continued and left-back Roger Garner has progressed with several encouraging displays. Another feature of the season has been the ability of the first XI to maintain a record of being unbeaten by the same team twice. In addition to this they completed the first "double" in the Club's history with a 3-2 win over EBT & L. One of the most exciting games of the season was that against Moorfield Colts at Glebe Farm Recreation Ground. The single, deciding, goal was scored by Ron Moll with the last kick of the match, after a brilliant 40 yard run down the right wing by Keith Gibbons. The Club Captain, Ian Galloway, is still the leading scorer with twelve goals to his credit.

The second team is still looking for its first win but their recent performances have shown that this cannot be long delayed. The forward line has shown that it is capable of scoring goals and with more concentration on defence, winning results must come. The half-back line of Roger Bunten, David Parkes and Malcolm Gilbert have steadied the team and has created the basis for improvement. Derek Horner and right wing Bob Shakespeare have proved a handful for many opposing defences, Derek Horner in particular with a personal tally of twelve goals this season. The last result to date, a 6-11 defeat by Short Heath, has proved the necessity for better organised defensive play to compliment the improved forwards. This point is made even clearer when it is noted that the half time result was 5-5. Ray Stanley and Peter Collins at full-back have shown steady improvement and with the welcome return of Dick Atkins after injury, the prospects for the second XI appear considerably brighter.


CONTACT: Summer 1964

The past season has been a disappointing one for both teams, especially the 1st XI, who, after a bright beginning being unbeaten for their first six league games, finished seventh in the Second Division of the Monday League. The experiment of playing two teams has been a success in so far as the second eleven fulfilled all the fixtures required of them. The results, however, have been far from encouraging, the team finishing the season at the bottom of the Fourth Division. The season's top scorer was Ian Galloway who scored thirteen goals. John Ordish was the top scorer on any one game with five goals in the match against EBT & L. The second XI achieved their first and only win of the season in a most spectacular manner by beating the division's leaders 'Taverners' 4-1 in the final match.

The latter matches of the season were victims of the weather. Only two games were played by each team. The first XI beat Gilbertstone 2-1, Ian Galloway scoring both goals with accurately taken free-kicks. The second match against Casuals proved to be a very hard game, the opposition scoring three goals in the last eight minutes to win 4-1. The second XI had an uphill fight against Billesley Spartaks, a third division club, only excellent goal-keeping by Peter Aston kept the score to 4-0. The second game was, of course, the win against Taverners.

The Club will once again be running two teams next year so there will be plenty of scope for new members. Anyone interested should contact the Secretary or any Club Member.