Staff Association
Sports &
BMB Football Club - Season 1962/63
Reports in staff magazine by "Linesman" (Michael Bourke)

CONTACT: Autumn 1962

Old Greenhorians 6, BMBFC 1

Although the Bank's first match ended in defeat it was not an ignominious one. Taking into consideration the fact that the opposition play in the second division of the Festival League and that the Bank team had never played together before puts the result into its proper perspective. Another factor was that the Bank had to lend the opposition three players to complete their team.

For the first quarter of an hour the honours were even, each side building up attacks but delaying the final pass. After twenty minutes however the Bank went ahead, as Roger Bunten scored after a Dick Snow and John Ordish movement. This seemed to give the Bank more confidence and twice went very close to scoring again. Unfortunately Alan Woodbridge was injured soon after, but managed to finish the first half. Shortly before half-time Old Greenhorians' inside left scored the equaliser.

Substitutes being allowed, both side took advantage of this in the second half. Play started in much the same way as in the first with both sets of forwards trying to pierce determined defences. It was noticeable however that the Bank defence was slower, but they kept Old Greenhorians' attack from scoring until the sixtieth minute. From then on superior fitness and experience told and but for the excellent display of goal-keeping by Michael Taylor their score could have reached double figures. Even he could not stop the Greenhorians from scoring a further four goals all of which were well taken by a lively inside trio. In the end the Bank players were very tired, but they can take heart from the fact that they held out for a full hour against a team that is obviously very, very good.

It would not be fair to single out any particular player for special mention as the whole team played as a team and not as individuals. There are some problems but they are not insoluble. More practice is obviously needed and the general standard of fitness must be raised. Without any doubt the man of the match must be Ray Stanley - the referee! Taking up his duties at considerably less than ten seconds notice Ray controlled the game with unbiased enthusiasm.


CONTACT: Christmas 1962

The Club has now settled down to a full season of competitive football in the second division of the Birmingham Monday League.

The results of the first few matches were disappointing but the players have not been discouraged. The first match was against Bordesley Rovers, and for the occasion the Bank team turned out in their new colours of black and white striped shirts with white shorts. The game proved to be a thriller with Bordesley scoring in the last thirty seconds to win by the odd goal in five. This earned the team a "mentioned in despatches" in the Sports Argus. The next two games saw the Bank lose again. First, by three goals to one, to the Griffins FC. In the next, the Taverners 'A' team (held 1 - 1 at half time) gave their impression of what a 'blitzkrieg' was like in the second half and eventually won 12 - 2. Undeterred, the team went out the next week and chalked up their first win by beating Erdington Unity 3 - 1.

At present, the leading goalscorers are Mr P Batchelor and Mr K Gibbons who have three goals each to their credit. Also worthy of note are the performances of the team's captain, Mr A Woodbridge, and goalkeeper Mr M Taylor. Both of these players have won praise from opposing teams and from referees. The Club's home pitch from now on will be at Perry Common but away fixtures will be held all over the Birmingham area. The team has been encouraged during the first matches by a small band of supporters and their presence is appreciated by the players. However there can never be too many supporters so how about YOU coming to cheer your own team on. So far this season the players have been fortunate as regards injuries. That is with the notable exception of the Secretary who managed to break his leg during a practice game. This however is not expected to be a regular occurrence so any prospective player must not be put off by it. The Club is always ready to welcome new members, anyone who is interested should contact any club member or the Secretary at Sparkhill Branch.


CONTACT: Spring 1963

In common with most of the footballing world, the Bank has been snowbound since Christmas. Unfortunately the cold spell came just as the team were settling down to a very smooth style. The improvement was so marked that they reversed the results of two earlier matches. The Griffins FC, 3-1 winners in October, were defeated 4-0 thanks to fine goals from John Ordish and skipper, Alan Woodbridge. Bordesley Rovers proved a tougher task. After Michael Taylor pulled off a fantastic save from a penalty, the Bank team settled down. Goals from Paul Batchelor and Keith Gibbons were sufficient to ensure victory. This winning streak came to a sudden end with the next match. On a hard, bumpy pitch, Foxhollies FC made full use of the inability of the Bank's forwards to master the conditions. The defence held together for a time, but as the opposing half-backs exploited their mid-field dominance the goals soon mounted up.

So far the team has been handicapped by a late start to the season which meant missing a number of matches. This has not, however, affected their enthusiasm, the first matches were unsatisfactory as regards the results but gave the team opportunities to gain experience. The defence in particular has held together very well but the attack has been lacking in shooting power. This failure has meant a lot more work for the half-backs who have proved very efficient in every match. Once the deficiency of goals has been filled, then the team should start to climb the league table. The leading goal-scorers are Paul Batchelor, Keith Gibbons and John Ordish who have four goals each to their credit.


1962/63 Team