The Municipal Bank is controlled by Birmingham City Council, through a committee of management which is appointed annually. One of
the committee's tasks is to appoint a general manager who retains his position until retirement.
The chairman of the committee
is Coun. A D Martineau. The bank's solicitor is Mr T H Parkinson (Birmingham Town Clerk), while the City Treasurer, Mr F Stephenson
acts as treasurer.
Besides the chairman, the committee comprises: Ald. Sir Joseph Balmer (former committee chairman from May, 1952
to May, 1954); Coun. Mrs A H Checkley, Coun. J M Fleming, Coun. T F S Forster, Coun. G H Herringshaw, Ald. W R Lewis, Coun. R O'Connor,
Coun D K Rowe-Ham, Coun. E W Shepherd, Ald H E Tyler and Coun. Miss S R R Wright.
Under Mr Guy, general manager, are: Mr B P Hayward,
deputy general manager and Mr C H Massey, assistant general manager.
Other senior members of staff include a superintendent of branches,
superintendents of the house purchase department and the banking hall, and branch managers.
Coun. A D Martineau
, chairman of
the committee of management, is the youngest son of Sir Wilfrid Martineau.
He was born at Highgate and was educated at West House
School Rugby, and Trinity Hall, Cambridge.
Coun. Martineau, a solicitor, was chairman of the Market Hall Ward Conservative Association
from 1952-61, and was elected to the city council to represent the Edgbaston ward in 1961.
He was appointed vice-consul for Portugal
in 1964; is a member of the Water and General Purposes committees, a trustee of the Lench's Trust and George Henry Collins Charity.
1959, he was appointed a governor of Tennal School and seven years later to a similar position at West House School.
He is chairman
of the management committee, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, and a trustee of the Muntz Trust, Sir Harry Jackson Trust and
the Birminghm District Nursing Trust.
Coun. Martineau was married in 1962 and lives at Vicarage Road, Edgbaston. He has three sons.
Martineau died in 1999, aged 79)
Mr S A Guy
, general manager, was born in Birmingham and educated at George Dixon Grammar School.
He joined the bank as a junior clerk on October 25th, 1920, working at head office but in 1930, at the age of 25, he was appointed
manager of the Aston Cross branch.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, the number of male staff was depleted, and for a time,
Mr Guy ran the Hall Green and Shirley branches. During the middle years of the war he took charge of Acocks Green branch, the largest
at that time.
In 1947, he returned to head office as first-assistant in the house purchase department and three years later became
Mr Guy was appointed deputy general manager on August 1st 1964 and a few months later became acting general manager,
being elected to general manager in December of the same year.
He is married at lives at Olton, Solihull. Mr Guy has a daughter who
is a doctor. His main interest is music and he is the organist and choir master at Olton Congregational Church.
Mr Guy is a Fellow
of the Institute of Bankers and of the Savings Bank Institute. He is also a bronze medalist of the Royal Society of Arts.
He was formerly
a lecturer in savings bank law, but terminated this appointment when he became general manager.
(Mr Guy died May 1st 1997, aged 91)
B P Hayward
, deputy general manager, met his future wife while working at a branch of the bank. They married in 1935.
Mr Hayward was
born in Birmingham and educated at Warwick School. He joined the bank as a junior clerk in November, 1925, and the following year
was transferred from head office to Rotton Park branch.
He then moved into the accounts department and later to the secretarial office,
working on statistics for the general manager.
In 1937, he was appointed to audit clerk. From 1942-46 he served with the RAOC finishing
his tour of duty in Norway and returning to Birmingham in September, 1946. He was manager of several branches serving in that capacity
at Sutton Coldfield for 11 years.
Mr Hayward was appointed an inspector in September, 1960, and on August 1, 1964, became assistant
general manager. Four months later he was appointed to his present position.
He is a member of the Alpine Gardening Society and the
Sutton Coldfield Horticultural Society and is a keen photographer.
Mr Hayward lives at Four Oaks. He is a member of the schools' section
of the National Savings Committee, the examining committee and the council of the Savings Bank Institute, an associate of the Institute
of Bankers and of the Savings Banks Institute.
He has a daughter who was employed by the Midland Bank.
(Mr Hayward died March 1991,
Mr C H Massey
, assistant general manager, who has 43 years' service with the bank will retire near the end of this year.
He joined in May 1922 as a junior clerk working at head office for six months before going to Aston, Small Heath and Lozells branches
as a junior clerk. Then in 1925, at the age of 19, he became a junior cashier at Duddeston branch. In 1930, he was appointed a relief-manager
and two years later became manager of Rotton Park branch.
In 1942, he joined the Royal India Army Service Corps, attaining the rank
of captain. He returned to Birmingham in 1946, and 10 years later became a branch inspector. In 1964, he was appointed superintendent
of the house purchase department and four years ago to his present position.
Mr Massey is married with two children and his son is
the manager of the Henley-in-Arden branch of the Midland Bank.
Mr Massey is chairman of the Woodlands Bowling Club, Moseley. He has
been a Freemason for 20 years and is a Past Master of a lodge and now fills the secretarial post.
He is an associate of the Institute
of Bankers, and of the Savings Banks Institute. Mr Massey is also an examiner for the Savings Bank Institute in municipal bank law.
Massey retired: November 30th 1969; and died on February 13th 1995 at the age of 89)