Staff Association

CONTACT: Christmas 1969
Reports of two friendly matches played by the
Bank Football Club:
[1] v Cambridge & District TSB
[2] v Frankfurt Representative Side

BMBFC v Cambridge & District TSBFC


Last year, you may recall, the Bank defeated Cambridge on their home ground by two goals to one. On 19th October the Bank played host to Cambridge who were accompanied by their General Manager, Mr Cox.


After inspecting the pitch both teams changed and lined up to be introduced to Mr Cox and our Assistant General Manager, Mr Hoccom.


Both sides took time to settle after the start and it was Cambridge who scored first; a glorious shot from their inside right taken from the edge of the penalty area. This setback seemed to spur the Bank team into decisive action by first equalising - a brilliant overhead kick by Stokes, and then taking the lead through a headed goal by Horner. The first half ended with the Bank controlling the midfield and beginning to worry the visitor's defence with incisive raiding.


The second half began as the first ended, with the Bank moving forward on the attack and David Burke playing a major role in the build up. A long through ball found the ever sure head of Horner and his powerful header was in the net before the Cambridge defence could recover. David Burke then stepped in with a tremendous left foot shot that put the goal net out of shape. The score was now four goals to one and with virtually the last shot of the game Horner accurately headed home Eddy Stokes' corner to emphasise the Bank's superiority. After showering and changing, both teams joined the supporters for a buffet tea and later everyone settled down in the bar.


The Club wish to express their thanks to Mr J W Hoccom and Mr A W Hopkins, who were our guests of honour; to all our supporters who bravely weathered the cold; to Mr J Clemmow who took the team photograph and last, but by no means least, to Mr Ian Galloway who expertly refereed the game.


Derek Horner

(Except the descriptions of Derek's three goals. He was much too modest in his original article - Editor)




BMBFC v Frankfurt Representative Side


The second of the Football Club's friendlies this season was against Frankfurt Football Club of Germany. The prelude to the game itself and the events after the game you may find interesting - so please read on -


The Birmingham Municipal Sports Club approached the Bank Football Club to see if the Bank would care to field a team against the Germans. We readily agreed, knowing that we would also have to field a team that day for our Monday League commitment.


The Saturday before the game, the Club were invited to join his Worship the Lord Mayor at the Council House to help form the reception committee. The Bank was represented by the Club's captain, R Garner; vice-captain, C Brown; and myself. The guests arrived over an hour late, but not too late to join us for lunch at which the Lord Mayor made a welcoming speech. After the meal the whole party were taken by coach to St Andrew's to see Blues (naturally) defeat Blackburn Rovers.


The following day after exchanging pennants the Bank lined up to play our visitors. The game started at a fast pace and a fine goal from Michael Rippin put the Bank ahead, so the score stayed until shortly before half time when the Germans equalised. The second half started even keener and goals came fast. Firstly M Rippin and D Horner put the Bank 3-1 ahead with only twenty minutes to go. Our opponents then scored two very good goals - one of them an incredible shot from 25 yards. There the game finished 3-3, a fair result to both teams who were amazingly identical with their ability, skill and enthusiasm.


After the game both teams washed and changed before going to the 'Good Companions' for dinner. During the meal the visitors gave badges and tie pins to all the Birmingham players as mementos of the game.


During their stay, the visitors were treated to a guided tour of Birmingham - twin city to Frankfurt. They were accommodated at a training centre in Rednal. The German spokesman, before wishing a final farewell, invited our team to Germany next year. What an experience that would be!


The Bank team was as follows:

C Brown, C Mace, A Woodbridge, T Byrne, R Moll, M Rippin, D Burke, E Stokes, D Horner, G Bowden, C Jones with substitute T Hinz.


Goal Scorers were M Rippin 2; D Horner 1