Annual Reports - 1922
For the year ending March 31st 1922, the Bank's Committee are able to report that the deficit incurred
by the temporary Birmingham Corporation Savings Bank has now been paid off by the Birmingham Municipal Bank. In relation to premises,
the Bank has now obtained its own section in the Council House (instead of sharing with the Water Department) and two permanent
branches have been opened. Additionally, land has been purchased to enable the first purpose built branch (Handsworth) to be constructed.
The report to the City Council gives a breakdown by amount of the 1,264 House Purchase loans made, and some statistics are also provided
regarding the School Savings Scheme. A new scheme to enable Water bills to be paid at branches has been introduced - this scheme becomes
very popular (not surprisingly, as the previous system basically required attendance at the Water Department in Edmund Street) resulting
in a reduction of cashiers employed by the Water Department; some of them consequently transferred to the expanding Municipal
Bank. A tentative scheme for the payment of Rates has commenced, but this scheme is destined not to run as smoothly initially.
Front and Back pages of Report