Mr C H Massey, who retired on 30th November, joined the Staff in May 1922 when his duties comprised acting as Counter Clerk, the extraction of account numbers on check pads and indexing. But in December 1923 the General Manager gave instructions that "he should be allowed to do some posting into the ledgers during the quieter parts of the week"! Mr Massey became a cashier in 1930 and was appointed Branch Manager in January 1934.
After serving in the RASC as a Captain, Mr Massey returned to duty as a Branch Manager and was appointed an Inspector in 1957. Promotion to the post of Superintendent of House Purchase Department in August 1964 was followed later that year by his appointment to Assistant General Manager, a position he held with distinction until his retirement.
The good wishes of the Staff, which have been tangibly expressed, are extended to Mr Massey and his wife.