BMB Chess Club: 1959
Reports of Activities in staff magazines
Staff Association
Sports &
News Letter No 16 - Spring 1959

On Thursday, February 26th a keen, but not hopeful team from the Bank, met at the Civic Restaurant at 6:30pm to play a match against a team from the Town Clerks Department.

Out of the original eleven volunteers, David Stace was out of action with influenza and Roy Weaver arrived late with ‘rendez-vous’ trouble. The Town Clerks supplied a substitute from the Treasurers Dept. To replace Mr Weaver in order that our ten-board match could commence.
The first two games to be completed gave two wins to our opponents. Our substitute went down and Jim Smith, from a winning position, allowed his attention to wander (perhaps to some other board meeting?) and found himself “de-queened”.

Those of us who were still “in play” dug in our heels a little more firmly at least determined to go down fighting.

The next bulletin - Norman Worwood went down but, to cheer our hearts, the tables turned - Tony Morris and Colin Beacroft reported wins; the score now 3 lost, two won.

This news was quickly followed by a win for Roy Willingham and Howard Powell and a draw for Peter Aston. We were now in the lead and needed only one win or two draws from the remaining boards. Mr K Parkes on the top board in play against Mr Jenkins and Mr Addis on board 3 playing Mr Morris.

Mr Addis had engaged in a dour battle and, outwitted to the extent of two pawns, but not out-stayed, had to resign the game to make the score 4½ to 4½ with everything depending on the top board.

Mr Parkes’s bishop and SIX pawns facing his opponent’s knight and FOUR pawns were all that we needed to record a win 5½ to 4½. An encouraging achievement by our ‘scratch’ team well over half of whom had never played competitive games under these conditions.
In fairness to our opponents it must be said that they did not field their strongest side although six of their players had played in league matches.

We are indebted to the Town Clerks team for their hospitality and the friendly spirit in which the match was played. They are now anxious to book a return match.

Norman Worwood (House Purchase Dept) will be pleased to hear from any other enthusiasts.


News Letter No 17 - Summer 1959
The meeting called by Mr N A Worwood under the above heading took place on 23rd April and the most optimistic could only describe the attendance as ‘moderate’. It was, therefore, decided by those present that the idea should not be completely abandoned, but should be shelved under the heading of ‘Dormant’ to be brought back to life at a more appropriate time in the future.

A team had already entered to play in an inter-Departmental tournament for a trophy known as the “Silver Rook”. This was a knock-out competition and we entered two teams one of which had to withdraw owing to our inability to find four fit men at short notice to play on the appointed evening. The other team, drawn to play against a team from the Gas Board, duly played their match on 27th April.

The match ended in a draw 2-2. In this event said the Rules, the last board must be eliminated; as this was one of our wins, the match was lost 2-1. This was, I am sure, a great relief to our secretary who had been very worried about finding a “cage” for the “Silver Rook” if we won it.